We have an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic and passionate Veterinary Care Assistant to join our inclusive team here at Optivet Referrals.
Optivet Referrals is an independent specialist referral centre, with specialists in ophthalmology, surgery, internal medicine and anaesthesia. With a team of 11 ophthalmologists, it is one of the largest in the world. Based in Havant, Hampshire, our practice has the latest equipment and facilities to help provide the essential care our patients need.
We are aligned around a set of core values which help us to deliver leading specialist led care to our patients and their owners. We are also currently undergoing an investor in the environment accreditation to help reduce our carbon usage.
About the role
This is a permanent full-time position working 40 hours per week, including rotating OOH.
As a VCA you will work alongside specialist veterinary surgeons and nurses to provide vital care for small animal patients (predominately dogs and cats).
This will include:
• General Small Animal Ward Care – includes inpatient care, assisting with inpatient checks, walking and feeding patients, monitor patients post op
• Preparation for Theatre – includes preparing patients for surgeries, restocking equipment as necessary, oxygenating patients (under supervision)
• Theatres and autoclave room assistance – includes preparing surgical kits, handing surgeon kit during operations, clean kits and theatres according to protocols
• Medicine Room assistance – Enter patient details into ultrasound, help processing samples, set up and clean endoscopes once trained
• Laboratory Assistance - Process samples using the haematology and biochemistry machines, collect urine and faecal samples, Blood smears, Package samples, Prepare formal saline pots, following health and safety regulations.
• Other Duties – take incoming enquiries via telephone and pass information to relevant person; book appointments via Ezyvet system when necessary
(Full job description available on request)
To succeed in this role, you must be dynamic, well organised with exceptional attention to hygiene and cleanliness. You must be able to show empathy and work in a fast-paced environment, whilst remaining calm and demonstrating exemplary teamworking skills.
Above all, you must be passionate about providing a high standard and quality of care to your patients and clients.
• At least 1-2 years demonstrated experience of working as a VCA in a busy veterinary environment with small animals.
• Good working knowledge of clinical legislation around Veterinary Care.
• Base salary - £18,000 to £22,000 per year (experience and skill dependant)
• 25 days holiday plus Bank Holidays (we also allow an extra 5 days for length of service).
• Extra day off for your birthday
• Private health care
• SMART pension
• Free onsite parking
• Pet insurance contribution
Please visit our website Optivet.com to read more about what we do.
To apply – please email through your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
We can’t wait to hear from you!